This four bedroom strawbale home sits acrest an undulating landscape in the granite strewn fields of the Mitchell Shire.
We used 3D modelling to determine whether two large trees to the north of the site would interfere with the solar access to the building and then used photo montaging to test the opportunities for the best views from inside the house.
- Passive solar orientation
- Internal thermal mass walls
- Double glazed windows throughout maximizing views to north and east, and minimizing solar gain to west
- Wood heater and wood stove with wetback for water heating, boosted by a solar collector unit
- Pitched ceiling over living area with curved highlight window
- Internal cool room pantry
- Lightweight sun room and deck for flexible outdoor living sheltered from prevailing winds